Welcome to FrequentFlier.com - the Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice. Welcome to FrequentFlier.com |
The Internet's premier site for frequent flyer program information and advice.
HomeNews & AnalysisStrategic & TacticsBlogFrequentFlier ForumProgramsAirport LinksAbout the Site
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:36 am 

I recently flew from Seattle to Atlanta on Delta Airlines. Curbside check in was really backed up with a tour group checking in, so I went to the normal check in counter. I placed one bag on the scale and was informed that my bag weighed 56 pounds and that I would have to pay a $25 overweight fee. I infomed the Customer Service Agent that I only had one bag to check and I would appreciate it if she could waive the fee. She asked me if I had Medallion status with Delta. I replied no and she charged me the fee. I had no time to argue because Seattle is a slow airport and I had to catch my plane. I am getting ready to write a letter to Delta to complain about the charge. Does anyone think I have a reasonable complaint or should I just live with the fee? I would appreciate any input or suggestions from my fellow frequent flyers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:57 am 

You should have just taken 6lbs of items out of your check-in luggage to your carry-on. You obviously knew there was a 50# fee, and you are not Medallion, so I do not know why you are asking for an exception.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:15 am 

I did not know there was a 50 pound limit, I thought it was still 70 pounds. I believe the point here is...why should Medallion status fliers get a $25 fee waived if we are only talking about and extra 6 pounds. Keep in mind, I only checked one bag and could have checked another 44 pounds for free in a second bag.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:00 pm 

Ken: I think the main reason they charge the overweight fee is for the baggage handlers (injury etc. due to heavy items). I don't think total weight checked is the problem. For what it's worth, this past June we were returning from Ft Meyers Fl to Cinti & had overweight bags. Curbside was busy so we went inside. That's why we got nailed. We removed about 5-6 lbs from two overweight bags & put in our carryons.
Anyway, just my 2cents worth. Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:47 am 

50# domestic & 70# international has been in effect for over a year. If taking more than 50# domestic, then pack it in 2 bags.

No surprise here........ nothing to gripe about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:25 am 

I don't agree that it is out of consideration for the baggage handlers, as after you are charged the fee, the same handlers will move the heavier bags. And if you do curbside check-in, extra heavy bags go through with no problem. It's just a way to collect extra revenue for the airline and whereas before the agents had some discretion in charging the fee.. after all 18 lbs overweight is different from 3 lbs overweight... now they probably have strict instructions to charge it everytime and as there is so much unemployment in the industry, they are probably afraid of losing their jobs. One could see the logic of it if they did not then allow people to carry excessive items onto the plane, something which I regard as a real safety hazard. Delta in particular seems to be charging fees wherever they can, as well as selling food etc. I wish they would sell them prior to boarding as last week it took me almost 1 1/2 hours to get a drink and I was halfway home before they got to me. Seems it would be simpler to do as Jet Blue does and sell them at the gate.

Given that you only had one bag, I think you have a legitimate complaint and in any case it never hurts to let them know of your dissatisfaction.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:55 pm 

For someone who is SO eager to attack folks, his lack of knowledge before a flight is entertaining. If he had read the rules it is stated in clear English to understand:

Checked Baggage - Domestic U.S. and International Flights
Allowances
Weight
Size
Baggage Types Allowed

Baggage:
Domestic U.S. Flights:
Items should not weigh more than 50 lbs. (approx. 22.5kg).

Items weighing between 51 and 100 lbs. (approx. 23 and 45kgs) will be charged an excess baggage fee.

Items over 100 lbs. (approx. 45kgs) will not be accepted.

International Flights:
Items should not weigh more than 70 lbs. (31.5kgs).

Items weighing between 70 and 100 lbs. (31.5 and 45kgs) will be charged an excess baggage fee.

Items over 100 lbs. (45kgs) will not be accepted. Items over size limits will be charged an excess baggage fee.

Items cannot exceed 62" or 157.5cm (length + height + width) limits.

Items over 80" or 203cm (length + height + width) will not be accepted. General:
Some packages, sporting goods, dangerous, fragile or bulky items may require special handling. For information on special items you want to carry on, go to the Special Baggage page.

Additional baggage may be accepted for an excess baggage fee. Luggage carts count toward your bag allowance.

We may limit the amount of excess baggage when such excess prevents us from carrying each traveler's free baggage allowance.

Delta's codeshare partners may have different guidelines and additional restrictions may apply on certain flights.

Domestic U.S. only:
Customers traveling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to 1 checked bag.

International only:
Checked baggage allowances differ to destinations beyond the continental United States. Passengers are encouraged to direct specific questions to the operating carrier and/or local government agency. This would include, but is not limited to, information regarding quarantines, baggage allowances, and excess charges.

With the exception of original factory-sealed boxes that will be accepted on a standby basis, Delta does not allow boxes as checked baggage to Central or South America (except Brazil, Mexico, and Chile) at any time of the year.

Additional destinations outside of the continental U.S. may also limit checked baggage during peak periods. Contact Delta at 800-241-4141 for peak periods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:19 pm 

Why are we getting so snippy? EVERYONE who has written in this string has contributed to this forum in the past. Ken asked a simple question.

Here is my two (or three) cents:
1. Ken, Denise got it right-- Although they were within their rights because they publish the charge, you have somewhat of a legitimate complaint because you had only one bag. And it doesn't hurt to let them know anyway. :?

2. Denise, I also agree that the airlines should crack down on the number and size of carry-ons. But there is nothing wrong with an airline, or any company in a capitalist society, wanting "to collect extra revenue". I'm so very glad that I live and work in a relatively free economic system. :D

3. TAO, please stop taking any complaint against Delta as a personal attack. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:57 pm 

Two weeks ago, the curbside check in stations were weighing larger suitcases in Memphis. My traveling companion's bag registered at 48 pounds and the skycap told her she was within just a few pounds of a $25 fee. So don't count on curbside service overlooking the weight check anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:57 am 

Joe, I fully appreciate that the airlines are in business for profit, just as we all are, and nobody is disputing our good fortune to live in a successful, capitalist oriented society. I do not object to the charges, I object to the fact that they are not implemented in a consistent manner. If you charge excess at the desk, you should also charge excess at the curbside etc., and if the regulations say one carry on that fits under the seat, then they should not allow people on with large suitcases. At some airports they have a measuring device at the boarding gate, and if the case does not fit in it, they take it for transportation with the bulk loaded luggage, at others everybody walks on with the kitchen sink. And now selling sandwiches etc. means that the aisle is blocked for most of the flight so people waiting for the bathroom or for a drink are getting more and more impatient. And especially now when most of the planes are jam packed, all of this is conducive to air rage and yet with a little better planning is easily corrected.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:27 am 

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. One thing I neglected to mention in the original post is that I was asked twice if I had Medallion status with Delta. I told them no and was told if I had Medallion status, the fee could have been waived. So it appears to me that Delta doesn't mind subjecting their baggage handlers to moving extra weight if you pay $25 or have Medallion status. I have written Delta Airlines concerning the fee and will keep the forum updated once I receive their reply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:24 am 

Denise,
I agree with your opinion.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:54 pm 

are you kidding me?? if there is anyone on this forum who is eager to attack, constantly complaining about things, and stirring up disagreement, it is most certainly you -

feel free to reply by attacking me if you wish, but this will be my last post on the subject, so don't bother checking for a reply -

as another member noted, the poster wasn't attacking anyone - he/she was just asking, in a rather polite manner, whether anyone had suggestions on how to more effectively file an objection -

the whole business of charging for that small an amount of excess weight is just another way that the airlines are trying to save their fiscally mis-managed behinds from bankruptcy - they could save/make a lot more money by reducing executive salaries by about 50%

TC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:00 am 

Either way, the fees are an unpleasant reality. I am 100K with United and they charge me $75 for excess weight...curbside and at the counter. This does not have anything to do with the price of tea in China but a bathroom scale is always a last resort if you are unsure about the weight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:12 pm 

I received a letter from Delta today apologizing for the way I was treated by their employees. "While we cannot change what happened, we do want to make amends. In the interest of goodwill, I have credited your SkyMiles account with 3,000 bonus miles." The $25 fee, however, could not be refunded because, by policy, the customer service agents did impose the fee properly.

I am happy with Delta's handling of my complaint and will continue to fly with their airline.