In the next week or so, we’ll have reviews of the first of the 2012 promotions from Hilton, InterContinental, and Marriott.
For now, here’s Starwood’s &quot;Better by the Night&quot; offer (link won’t be live until January 9, according to Starwood).
Between January 9, 2012, and April 8, 2012, Starwood Preferred Guest members can earn bonus points at participating hotels as follows:
- Double Starpoints for two night stays
- Triple Starpoints for stays of three or more nights
Registration is required, and must be completed by March 15, 2012.
There’s no limit to the number of bonus points that may be earned.
Deal or No Deal
In most hotel promotions, the ubiquitous &quot;participating hotels&quot; verbiage is just to give the chain an out in the event that a few recalcitrant properties elect not to award the bonus. In other words, you can safely ignore the implied limitation.
In this promotion, however, you ignore the caveat at your peril. While the offer boasts &quot;over 750 participating hotels,&quot; that’s well short of the 1,000-plus properties in Starwood’s network. With no bonus on offer at a full quarter of Starwood hotels, you will want to consult the list of non-participating hotels (once again, the link won’t be live until January 9) carefully before booking. At least if the bonus is a key component in your choice of hotel.
The bonus itself is a middling one for shorter stays and a decent one for stays of three or more nights.
And for one-night stays, the offer is irrelevant—there’s no bonus at all.
Other Posts of Interest
- Winter Hotel Promotions, Compared
- Choice Hotels Doubles the Points for Winter Stays
- Carlson Offers a Bonus for Award Stays
- From Hyatt: Gold Passport Points for Dining, Spa Services
- Redeem Marriott Points for Flights, Car Rentals
- Earn A Free Night After Five Hilton Resort Nights
- From Wyndham: a Free Night After Two Stays
- Hyatt Adds Elite Perks, Changes Award Prices
- Get Texts to Get 500 Priority Club Bonus Points
- Book InterCon Stays by Smartphone to Earn a Priority Club Bonus
- Book Priority Club Hotels for Just 5,000 Points With PointBreaks
- Hilton Points Go Further With Point Stretcher Awards
- Your Choice: Airline Miles or Hotel Points?
Stay in Touch