There are, broadly speaking, two species of points chasers.
One is the number-cruncher, for whom a frequent flyer mile or hotel point earned and redeemed is a rebate, a way of stretching the value of a buck.
The other is the dreamer, for whom miles and points are the ticket to exotic journeys and luxe treatment that would otherwise be unaffordable.
Although this special offer from Starwood has a savings component, it’s aimed squarely at the latter group.
Through March 1, 2014, Starwood Preferred Guest members can book award stays at any of seven Starwood resorts for 35 percent fewer points.
With the discounts, per-night award prices at the participating resorts are as follows:
- W Retreat and Spa Maldives – 58,500 points a night
- Le Meridien Bora Bora – 39,000 points a night
- Mystique, Santorini Greece – 39,000 points a night
- Al Maha, Dubai, UAE – 39,000 points a night
- W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand – 26,000 points a night
- Pine Cliffs Residence, Portugal – 26,000 points a night
- Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand – 26,000 points a night
Starwood’s fifth-night free policy applies to these redemptions, so there’s the potential for even greater savings for longer stays.
Deal or No Deal
No doubt these are expensive nights, with or without the discount. Not for those with limited account balances, or those looking to make the most stays for the fewest points.
But for anyone who has the points and aspires to something more than a quick and dirty overnight, these discounts represent an unusual opportunity to enjoy a special experience, and do it for less.
Reader Reality Check
Is Bora Bora on your bucket list?
Other Posts of Interest
- Summer 2013 Hotel Promotions, Compared
- Starwood’s New Promotion: Double Points (7/31/13)
- 10,000 Bonus Points for Two-Night Carlson Stays (7/31/13)
- Yet Another Summer Stay Offer from IHG Hotels: Double Points, Miles(7/31/13)
- Best Western Offers a Free Night After 3 Stays (8/18/13)
- Earn 8,000 Points After 2 Choice Stays (8/31/13)
- Marriott’s Popular MegaBonus Returns, Renamed (9/2/13)
- Hilton’s Summer Promotion: Double, Triple Points (9/30/13)
Stay in Touch