Past versions of Marriott’s recurring MegaMiles promotion have featured either a set number of bonus miles or a multiple of normally earned miles.
For summer 2012, it’s triple miles.
Between July 1 and October 31, Marriott Rewards members can earn triple airline miles for the second and subsequent stays at Marriott, JW Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Renaissance, AC Hotels, Residence Inn, Courtyard, TownePlace Suites, Fairfield Inn, and SpringHill Suites hotels.
For those choosing to earn miles, the normal earning rate depends on the airline program, the Marriott brand, and the type of charge. Delta SkyMiles members, for example, earn two miles per $1 spent on all qualifying charges at JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Marriott, and Marriott Vacation Club; two miles per $1 spent on room rate only at Ritz-Carlton and EDITION hotels; and one mile per $1 spent on room rate only at Courtyard, AC Hotels, Fairfield Inn &amp; Suites, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, and Marriott Executive Apartments.
Participating airline programs: Aeroflot, Air Berlin, Air Canada, Air China, Alaska Airlines, Alitalia, ANA, Asiana, Avianca-TACA, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Eastern, China Southern, Delta, Frontier, GOL/Varig, Hawaiian Airlines, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, JetBlue, Kingfisher, KLM/Air France, LAN, Lufthansa, Qatar, Singapore Airlines, Southwest, TAP Portugal, United, US Airways, Virgin America, and Virgin Atlantic.
Registration is required.
Deal or No Deal
For dedicated mileage-earners, this promotion is worth considering. It trumps the double-mile offers from Hilton and Wyndham, but falls short of Hyatt’s summer bonus of quadruple or quintuple airline miles.
If miles aren’t a priority, there are several free-night offers in play, including Marriott’s own MegaBonus, that potentially offer better returns on investment.
For a head-to-head comparison, see our summary of summer hotel promotions.
Reader Reality Check
Bonus miles or a free night … what’s your choice for summer hotel bonuses?
Other Posts of Interest
- Summer 2012 Hotel Promotions, Compared
- From Best Western: a Free Night After 3 Stays
- InterContinental Offers $75 Back on Weekend Stays
- Starwood Resorts Offer 2nd Night Discount
- Marriott’s Summer Promotion: 1 Free Night After 2 Stays
- New Starwood Elite Perk Is Speedy Airport Security Clearance
- New from Priority Club: Digital Rewards
- Choice Hotels Offers Bonus for Summer Stays
- Register Now for Big Club Carlson Hotel Bonuses
- New PointBreaks Hotels Available for 5,000 Priority Club Points
- Priority Club’s Summer Promotion Is 1,000 Bonus Points Per Night
- Club Carlson Announces 2012 Award Changes
- More Free Nights for Marriott Credit Card Holders
- Membership Rewards to Lose Another Transfer Partner
- Starwood’s New Promotion Features Date, Award Choices
- Earn Up to 5X Airline Miles for Summer Hyatt Stays
- Fast Track to Elite Perks with La Quinta Hotels
- Get a $50 Rebate for Weekday InterContinental Stays
- Get Hyatt Elite Perks with a Visa Signature Card
- Changes Ahead for Hilton Award Prices
- From Best Western, a $50 Gift Card and Bonus Points
- Wyndham Offers Double Points, Double Miles for Spring Stays
- Earn More Club Carlson Points at Alamo, Enterprise, National
- When Should Hotels Announce Upcoming Promotions?
- Hyatt Will Cut Ties With 4 Airline Programs on March 15
- Marriott Award Prices Will Change on March 15
- Starwood Award Prices Will Change on March 1
- New InterContinental Earning Rate Takes Effect Today
- Buy Back Elite Status from Marriott
- Starwood Will Upgrade Elite Benefits
- Priority Club Award Prices Will Increase
- From Hyatt: Gold Passport Points for Dining, Spa Services
- Redeem Marriott Points for Flights, Car Rentals
- Hyatt Adds Elite Perks, Changes Award Prices
- Your Choice: Airline Miles or Hotel Points?
Stay in Touch