American’s new bonus-mile promotion could be a yawner or a deal-maker, depending on how many trips you have on your travel calendar, and how much silliness you’re willing to endure to participate.
AAdvantage members can earn up to 30,000 bonus miles for American flights completed between September 4 and November 15, as follows:
- One round-trip = 1,000 bonus miles
- Two round-trips = 3,000 more bonus miles
- Three round-trips = 6,000 more bonus miles
- Four round-trips = 9,000 more bonus miles
- Five round-trips = 11,000 more bonus miles
So after five qualifying round-trips, you’ll earn a total of 30,000 bonus miles.
Fares booked in N, O, and Q are not eligible.
Registration is required, prior to September 15.
With most such promotions, that would be it. Unfortunately, in this case American has thrown additional hurdles into the qualification process.
To participate in this promotion, you must also acquire &quot;operative training&quot; and enter American’s &quot;Bourne Legacy&quot; sweepstakes. So you’ll have to first watch four online videos (tips on earning more AAdvantage miles), and then enter the sweepstakes. Entry deadline: August 31.
Deal or No Deal
While there isn’t much to be gained for one or two flights, the bonus miles on offer for three or more trips are worth pursuing.
The extra steps required to participate are an annoying disincentive — and seem especially ham-handed for an airline that’s operating under bankruptcy protection and needs all the goodwill it can garner — but are worth slogging through if your travel plans include multiple flights during the promotion period.
Other Posts of Interest
- Is the Credit Card Rewards Bubble Set to Burst?
- US Airways Packages, Sells Airport Elite Perks
- Are Taxable Frequent Flyer Miles in Your Future?
- Where Do My Miles Go If American Goes Bankrupt?
- Which Airline Programs Are the Most (and Least) Generous?
Stay in Touch