Between May 17 and August 15, members of the Choice Privileges program will earn a total of 8,000 points after two stays. That’s however many points you would have earned for the stays plus enough bonus points to bring the total up to 8,000.
Mind the definitions of &quot;stay.&quot; For Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, or Ascend Collection hotels, a stay is defined as any number of consecutive nights at one hotel regardless of check-ins or check-outs. For Econo Lodge, Rodeway Inn, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, or MainStay Suites hotels, a stay is defined as two or more consecutive nights at one hotel.
What’s the big deal with 8,000 points? In Choice Privileges, it’s enough for a free night at one of 1,500 lower-priced hotels in the Choice network. Or, for purposes of this promotion, it’s enough points for a $50 gift card, which normally requires 16,000 points. For U.S. members, the following gift cards are available: BP, Chevron/Texaco, Darden, ExxonMobil, Macy’s, Sears, Shell, Sunoco, Uno Chicago Grill.
But notwithstanding the headline, which might lead you to think that the only bonus on offer is the gift card, the actual bonus is the extra points. You can keep them, redeem them for a free night, or redeem them for a gift card.
Deal or No Deal
I’m not a fan of gift cards generally, and the limited selection of merchants in this case makes them even less attractive.
On the other hand, earning enough points for a free night, albeit at a lower-end hotel, after two stays is potentially a high-value offer, especially if the qualifying stays are single nights at lower-priced properties.
Reader Reality Check
There are plenty of hotel promotions available for summer stays. What’s your choice?
Other Posts of Interest
- Marriott’s Summer Promotion: 1 Free Night After 2 Stays
- Register Now for Big Club Carlson Hotel Bonuses
- New PointBreaks Hotels Available for 5,000 Priority Club Points
- Priority Club’s Summer Promotion Is 1,000 Bonus Points Per Night
- Club Carlson Announces 2012 Award Changes
- More Free Nights for Marriott Credit Card Holders
- Membership Rewards to Lose Another Transfer Partner
- Starwood’s New Promotion Features Date, Award Choices
- Earn Up to 5X Airline Miles for Summer Hyatt Stays
- Fast Track to Elite Perks with La Quinta Hotels
- Get a $50 Rebate for Weekday InterContinental Stays
- Get Hyatt Elite Perks with a Visa Signature Card
- Hotel Points Transfers Net a 25% British Airways Bonus
- Changes Ahead for Hilton Award Prices
- From Best Western, a $50 Gift Card and Bonus Points
- Wyndham Offers Double Points, Double Miles for Spring Stays
- Earn More Club Carlson Points at Alamo, Enterprise, National
- When Should Hotels Announce Upcoming Promotions?
- Summer 2012 Hotel Promotions, Compared
- Hilton’s 2nd Quarter Bonus Is Double Points or Double Miles
- Hyatt Will Cut Ties With 4 Airline Programs on March 15
- Marriott Award Prices Will Change on March 15
- Starwood Award Prices Will Change on March 1
- New InterContinental Earning Rate Takes Effect Today
- Buy Back Elite Status from Marriott
- Starwood Will Upgrade Elite Benefits
- Priority Club Award Prices Will Increase
- From Hyatt: Gold Passport Points for Dining, Spa Services
- Redeem Marriott Points for Flights, Car Rentals
- Hyatt Adds Elite Perks, Changes Award Prices
- Your Choice: Airline Miles or Hotel Points?
Stay in Touch